The ZigBee Alliance has announced availability of ZigBee Remote Control, a standard for advanced remote controls. ZigBee Remote Control is the first public application profile designed specifically for use with the ZigBee RF4CE specification which provides multi-vendor interoperable remote control solution for consumer electronics featuring a simple, robust, and low-cost communication network for two-way wireless connectivity.
ZigBee Remote Control replaces 30 year-old infrared (IR) technology with radio frequency (RF) control and eliminates the pointing confusion and other performance problems associated with IR remotes and large screen LCD and plasma televisions. It also delivers new functionality to conventional remotes, including:
- Ability to locate misplaced remote controls
- Common command set for true interoperability eliminating the need for multiple remote controls
- Control of equipment stored almost anywhere, including behind wood and glass doors or in other rooms
- Enhanced user interfaces and advanced display capabilities
- New interactive capabilities and the ability to navigate content on the remote's LCD
- Over-the-air upgrades and programmability
"ZigBee Remote Control offers electronics manufacturers a global standard to simplify control of a wide variety of CE devices and improve their customer experience," said Bob Heile, chairman of the ZigBee Alliance.
The ZigBee Remote Control profile gives CE manufacturers a defined standard to create interoperable products offering advanced communications between devices and remote controls, regardless of manufacturer.