Accusoft has released a USB Scanner SDK as a means for software application developers to add document scanning, via USB-based hardware scanners, to their Android apps.
- The Role of the WAN in Your Hybrid Cloud
- Securosis Analyst Report: Security and Privacy on the Encrypted Network
- SaaS and E-Discovery: Navigating Complex Waters
- SaaS 2011: Adoption Soars, Yet Deployment Concerns Linger
- Advanced Threat Protection For Dummies ebook and Using Big Data Security Analytics to Identify Advanced Threats Webcast
- Big Data and Customer Interaction Analytics: How To Create An Innovative Customer Experience
Developers are offered options to a) integrate USB scanning into existing Android applications, or b) design and build new scanning-enabled apps.
If correctly deployed, users will be able to connect their Android devices directly to a scanner via a USB cable and run the scanner from within the app. This will enable the user to control features such as resolution, brightness, and color.
NOTE: Apps using this toolkit can scan single- or multi-page documents, and save them in PDF, JPEG, TIFF, or BMP format.
The SDK's developers insist that building USB scanning into a workflow has a number of "immediately apparent" beneficial application scenarios. "It can give mobile or home health workers in the field the ability to record and transmit signed medical forms efficiently, improving productivity and patient care."
NOTE: Developers of mobile applications that have a document workflow can use the USB Scanner SDK to get documents into the flow without having to write code to support specific scanners.
The SDK comprises code libraries, Java source code examples for reference and testing, plus access to help files for advanced applications and troubleshooting. Applications require Android 3.2 (Honeycomb) or later and a supported scanner; supported scanners are listed here.
Developers and users can see and test this technology in action by downloading a trial app version from Google Play (search for "USB scanner trial"). Users who do not see their scanner in the list of supported scanners can also use the app to try the technology with their scanner model.