Microsoft has released to manufacturing SQL Server 2008. This version of SQL Server provides new capabilities such as support for policy-based management, auditing, large-scale data warehousing, geospatial data, and advanced reporting and analysis services. SQL Server 2008 is available in the following editions:
- SQL Server 2008 Enterprise, a data management and business intelligence platform that provides scalability, data warehousing, security, advanced analytics and reporting support for running business-critical applications. With this edition, it is possible to consolidate servers and perform large-scale online transactional processing.
- SQL Server 2008 Standard, a data management and business intelligence platform that provides ease of use and manageability for running departmental applications.
- SQL Server 2008 Workgroup, a data management and reporting platform that delivers secure, remote synchronization and management capabilities for running branch applications. This edition includes core database features and is easy to upgrade to the Standard or Enterprise edition.
- SQL Server 2008 Web, designed for highly available, Internet-facing Web-serving environments running on Windows Server. SQL Server 2008 Web provides the tools to support Web applications or hosting solutions.
- SQL Server 2008 Developer, lets developers build and test any type of application with SQL Server. This edition features all of the functionality of SQL Server Enterprise but is licensed only for development, test and demo use. Applications and databases developed on this edition can easily be upgraded to SQL Server 2008 Enterprise.
- SQL Server 2008 Express, a free edition of SQL Server that features core database functionality including all of the new SQL Server 2008 data types, in a small footprint. This edition is ideal for learning and building desktop and small server applications, and for redistribution by ISVs.
- SQL Server Compact 3.5, a free embedded database designed for developers building stand-alone and occasionally connected applications for mobile devices, desktops and Web clients. SQL Server Compact runs on all Microsoft Windows platforms, including the Windows XP and Windows Vista operating systems, and on Pocket PC and smartphone devices.