Embarcadero Technologies has made available CodeGear RAD Studio 2009, a rapid application development (RAD) tool for building native Windows, .NET, Web and database applications -- regardless of what database they connect to or embed.
CodeGear RAD Studio 2009 combines the RAD capabilities of Delphi 2009 and C++Builder 2009 with the recently introduced .NET development capabilities of Delphi Prism. This combination provides developers with a complete environment that supports both low-level native Windows development and higher-level managed .NET code. In addition, the newly redefined RAD Studio Architect edition includes Embarcadero ER/Studio Developer Edition for rapid application development with powerful database modeling and design capabilities.
RAD Studio provides .NET developers with the following features:
- The completely new Delphi Prism development environment, which is powered by the RemObjects Oxygene compiler
- The ability to take advantage of the latest and greatest .NET technologies such as WinForms, WPF, ADO.NET, ASP.NET and LINQ
- Deployment support for the MONO platform on Mac OS X and Linux
- The ability to develop database applications using familiar dbExpress functionality and create .NET clients that connect to native DataSnap servers
RAD Studio enables native Windows developers to:
- Easily create applications that handle global data using new Unicode support throughout the IDE and Visual Component Library (VCL)
- Modernize user interfaces with the new and enhanced VCL controls
- Leverage modern language features in Delphi such as generics and anonymous methods as well as early support for C++0x standards in C++Builder
- Build powerful, efficient and secure database applications by separating data and business logic with new DataSnap
- Get new insight into database structures with data modeling and visualization in the Architect edition
RAD Studio is available in three editions: RAD Studio Professional for building applications with local database connectivity; RAD Studio Enterprise for building client/server and multi-tier database and web applications; and RAD Studio Architect, which includes database modeling and design capabilities.