Embarcadero Technologies has released Rapid SQL XE, an IDE for SQL-based development. Rapid SQL XE includes direct native support for heterogeneous database environments from a single user interface, and supports Embarcadero InterBase and the open-source Firebird database, in addition to full Unicode support. Moreover, Rapid SQL XE includes support for all database platforms with a single product, interface and license, and also includes Embarcadero ToolCloud centralized licensing and on-demand deployment features.
"As the application and database landscape becomes increasingly heterogeneous, developers must adapt by working proficiently on multiple platforms," says Embarcadero's Michael Swindell. "Rapid SQL XE enables IT and development managers to maximize their database development productivity by standardizing on a single tool that allows them to work on all database platforms -- even ones they are not familiar with -- using a single interface and minimal training."
Rapid SQL XE includes several features, including support for:
- Unicode which lets users work with data in different languages and display the text correctly on screen.
- InterBase and Firebird in terms of connectivity, object management, SQL editing and execution facilities, and project support.
- Object Filtering via three new filtering capabilities: name-based filtering, user-defined object name filtering and node filtering. These new filtering enhancements enable developers to better control the user interface and work more efficiently.
- Enhanced ISQL Editor. The ISQL editor now supports on-the-fly syntax checking of both code and object names. To further reduce the possibility of keying errors, Rapid SQL XE introduces two other functions: full object look-up and code complete.
- Data Editor which simplified record creation and default value handling to quickly add multiple records.
- User Interface with object editors and wizards to improve workflow and the user interface experience.
Rapid SQL XE also includes new data source management features, object management enhancements for Oracle, DB2 z/OS, DB2 LUW and SQL Server, and enhanced currency and support for DB2 z/OS and LUW and Windows 7. Rapid SQL XE supports all major databases including IBM DB2 for LUW, DB2 for z/OS, Firebird, InterBase, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, and Sybase.