McObject has announced general availability of version 4.0 of its eXtremeDB 4.0 real-time, embedded database system which sports the following enhancements:
- Multi-Version Concurrency Control (MVCC) Transaction Manager. With eXtremeDB's option for regulating access to the database eliminates "locking", developers can improve scalability and performance, especially in applications with many tasks or processes, and on multicore systems.
- New Index Structures. eXtremeDB 4.0 adds support for the KD Tree, a data index that eases development, accelerates data processing and enables developers to add efficient query features.
- Data index algorithms in eXtremeDB 4.0 are optimized for the MVCC Transaction Manager and deliver faster performance.
- Logical Database Devices. McObject's 4.0 release introduces the concept of logical database devices, which simplifies commands to create a database, whether in memory or on persistent storage, or both. The new feature also adds techniques for performance optimization and database recovery when working with two or more storage devices, be they spinning disks or Solid State Disks.
- New API. eXtremeDB 4.0 expands developer toolset with a new Uniform Database Access API. This "one size fits all" function library is native to C/C++ and can be used across all projects. eXtremeDB also provides a project-specific native interface, as well as APIs supporting industry-standard SQL.
"Our customers are looking for ways to bring more powerful and reliable technology products to market, and need to accomplish this faster than ever before," said McObject co-founder Steve Graves. "While their applications vary widely, they face the same obstacle: efficiently managing growing volumes of complex data. eXtremeDB 4.0 provides McObject's most advanced real-time embedded database system yet for addressing this challenge and enabling our customers to deliver software and devices whose reliability, performance and advanced features delight end-users."