Sybase has announced the availability of its SQL Anywhere12 database and synchronization software. This version of SQL Anywhere provides support for storage and synchronization of spatial data, iPhone devices and large-scale synchronization environments, among other features.
- Spatial support to enable tracking, location aware querying, data management and synchronization of spatial data; support for OGC and SQLMM standards for spatial data types and APIs, native import for shape files and built in functions to export to KML, GML and SVG formats
- Scale-out support to allow high transaction volume database servers to offload read-only and reporting transactions to a self-managing tree of scale-out servers
- Mobility tools to effectively manage, monitor, diagnose and deploy large scale sync environments on various device platforms. The addition of iPhone support in SQL Anywhere 12, in addition to Blackberry and Windows Mobile
- Self-management innovations such as server thread auto-tuning that automatically adapts to changing workloads, self-healing statistics management and synchronization dynamic cache sizing for environments where resources are changing in real-time and DBA intervention is not readily available
- Developer productivity enhancements including new Oracle/MySQL compatibility; support for .NET 4.0 and Visual Studio 2010; and enhanced full-text search filtering capabilities.
"SQL Anywhere 12 is a culmination of research and development that serves existing customers while addressing emerging requirements for embedded database server and mobile applications," said Dave Neudoerffer, vice-president of engineering, Sybase. “This SQL Anywhere release breaks new ground with innovations for growing data volume, diverse data types and new device platforms to further enhance Sybase's leading mobility platform."