Channels ▼
RSS

Parallel

Intel Announces Technology Innovation Contest


Intel chairman Craig Barrett kicked off the annual Intel Developer Forum by applauding developers for technology innovation, but then challenged them to do more in the areas of education, economic development, healthcare, and energy conservation. Putting his money where his mouth is, Barrett announced the Intel Inspire-Empower Challenge, a contest that rewards innovation by offering $100,000 to winners in each of the four categories.

"Technology is a tool to address some of the world's most pressing challenges related to health care, education, economic development and the environment," said Barrett, who also chairs a United Nations initiative on technology in the developing world. "No nations or individuals are untouched by these issues. Get involved. Be part of the solution."

Barrett said that education is the foundation for innovation and that 85 percent of the world's 15- to 24-year-old youth live in developing countries. He said that many of the 30-some countries he visits each year are investing in technology to create new, improved models for learning.

The Intel chairman also highlighted how technology is being used to create global entrepreneurs and drive economic development. He said numerous organizations are using technology to provide budding businesspeople with access to expertise, resources and funds.

In healthcare, Barrett said technology has the potential to transform health care in mature and developing economies. Barrett also described how technology can help address climate change. He said that the technology sector only accounts for 2 percent of the global carbon dioxide footprint. He said there are many ways to creatively use technology to reduce the remaining 98 percent of emissions. For example, UPS uses GPS technology and special scheduling software that saved delivery trucks 3 million miles in a single month.


Related Reading


More Insights






Currently we allow the following HTML tags in comments:

Single tags

These tags can be used alone and don't need an ending tag.

<br> Defines a single line break

<hr> Defines a horizontal line

Matching tags

These require an ending tag - e.g. <i>italic text</i>

<a> Defines an anchor

<b> Defines bold text

<big> Defines big text

<blockquote> Defines a long quotation

<caption> Defines a table caption

<cite> Defines a citation

<code> Defines computer code text

<em> Defines emphasized text

<fieldset> Defines a border around elements in a form

<h1> This is heading 1

<h2> This is heading 2

<h3> This is heading 3

<h4> This is heading 4

<h5> This is heading 5

<h6> This is heading 6

<i> Defines italic text

<p> Defines a paragraph

<pre> Defines preformatted text

<q> Defines a short quotation

<samp> Defines sample computer code text

<small> Defines small text

<span> Defines a section in a document

<s> Defines strikethrough text

<strike> Defines strikethrough text

<strong> Defines strong text

<sub> Defines subscripted text

<sup> Defines superscripted text

<u> Defines underlined text

Dr. Dobb's encourages readers to engage in spirited, healthy debate, including taking us to task. However, Dr. Dobb's moderates all comments posted to our site, and reserves the right to modify or remove any content that it determines to be derogatory, offensive, inflammatory, vulgar, irrelevant/off-topic, racist or obvious marketing or spam. Dr. Dobb's further reserves the right to disable the profile of any commenter participating in said activities.

 
Disqus Tips To upload an avatar photo, first complete your Disqus profile. | View the list of supported HTML tags you can use to style comments. | Please read our commenting policy.
 

Video