Progress Software has released its Progress Apama Complex Event Processing (CEP) platform with an enhanced Parallel Correlator that leverages multicore, multiprocessor functionality. CEP is an event processing concept that processes multiple events to identify the meaningful events. CEP uses techniques such as detection of complex patterns of many events, event correlation and abstraction, event hierarchies, and relationships between events, and used in applications such as algorithmic trading.
According to Progress Software, the Apama Parallel Correlator enables significant performance enhancements. Internal benchmark testing, which used real-world customer scenarios, revealed a seven-fold increase in event processing performance on an eight core machine.
According to Maureen Fleming, Program Director for IDC's Business Process Management and Middleware service notes: "Software that supports the full capacity of multi-core servers offers enterprises the opportunity to significantly improve performance and reduce cost. Given the importance of cost-effective, high-speed throughput for CEP, software products that make full use of modern server technology are at a strong competitive advantage that extends not just to the vendor but to customers adopting this technology." j
Dr. John Bates, founder and general manager, Apama division of Progress Software, and author of the article Algorithmic Trading, said: "This new Apama product release demonstrates a fundamental shift in the design, development and deployment of CEP applications in a way that makes it even easier for business users to benefit from CEP on multi-core architectures in real time. The pace at which organizations accumulate and analyze data is increasing exponentially, and CEP products must keep pace. The Apama platform is designed to meet and surpass the changing needs of businesses, and is the foundation for a CEP solution that delivers unprecedented performance with limitless scalability."
Other key Apama Parallel Correlator capabilities include:
- Full support for latest Intel and SPARC hardware that provide multiple threads per core (and, multiple cores per CPU).
- Reduces the complexity of designing and implementing concurrent CEP applications.
- Implementation is a natural extension of CEP development and deployment using event processing language and visual design tools.
- High-level thread management process enabling parallel contexts to be created.
- Apama Smart Scheduler ensures optimal scheduling of contexts on operating system threads.
- A fine-tuned latency framework works tightly coupled with the Apama architecture ensures real-time designs create predictable real-time results.
The Apama platform supports dynamic business operations that are constantly changing and which require immediate, forward-looking responsiveness to business events with sub-millisecond latency.