A Generic Service Model
In general, an SOA that utilize an ESB exposes a service as a proxy. As Figure 1 illustrates, communication from the client to the ESB or ESB to the business service can be over HTTP, JMS, SMTP, or FTP.
Vendor Selection Process
One way to determine which vendor(s) are appropriate for your organization is to know your Web services "system" Use Cases, such as:
- The need for disparate data integration. Try Oracle Fusion Middleware, IBM Websphere ESB.
- A high-performance, guaranteed delivery message integration backbone. See Tibco BusinessWorks, WebMethods Fabric, Sun/SeeBeyond, IBM Websphere, BEA AquaLogic.
- A secure SOA infrastructure, including service monitoring, hub integration and business process reuse. Check out IBM Websphere and Tivoli, Oracle Fusion Middleware, Tibco Business Works, BEA AquaLogic.
- A low-end, no-coding, configuration environment, an alternative to the custom, homegrown solution. See Sonic, Fiorano, Cape Clear.
- A network services gateway for B2B, process orchestration and protocol brokering. Try IBM, Tibco, WebMethods, BEA.